Rain, rain, go away! Come again another day. Seems as though the rain in Sacramento has come to stay for a little while, which is great because the region is in desperate need of it. Rain and I have a better relationship than we used to. Before wearing my hair naturally curly, it was quite the sin to get my hair wet if it wasn’t time for a wash and condition. Now, sometimes I don’t even use an umbrella if it’s not raining too hard and I’m just going to the car.
Anyway, I’ve always felt that in the rain, it was hard to look cute. “Who wants to mess up an outfit?” Or, “I’m going to save that for when the weather is better again.” There is a way to look effortlessly chic when it’s raining with a few staple items. I’ve got an example for you:
Items you need:
1. Umbrella – Well, unless it’s just a quick dash a few feet, you are going to need an umbrella to keep your beautiful self dry! There are many varieties, some are small or medium. I’ve had my eye on this one for awhile. I love the retro feel of it, and I love how much coverage there is. They come in array of “flavors,” so you can find one that best fits your personality.
2. Trench Coat – One of the most versatile items you will own. I have a cropped one, but a full-length one is a staple item in my opinion. There’s an option for you here and here. Not a fan of the double breasted look? There’s a single breasted Michael Kors one on sale here.
3. Vibrant Pants – I love colorful pants. How did we ever do without them? They give an instant punch to any outfit and can be worn with boots, heels or flats. You can find them everywhere, but Target has some that are reasonably priced here if you are strapped for cash.
4. Tote bag – If it’s raining and you’re holding an umbrella, chances are you don’t have an extra hand to carry other stuff. A tote bag will allow you to combine a workbag and purse. This structured one is on sale at Old Navy right now and comes in lots of colors.
5. Rain boots – Sure it’s fun to splash in puddles, but it’s easier to do it in rain boots. I was a lucky girl and snagged some Missoni ones from Target, however, if I didn’t have these, I would have to invest in some Hunter boots. Although pricey, they are long-lasting and durable. When I went back East in Winter, many women were wearing these through the snow, so take that into account if you’re a traveller. They come in a lot of different colors and textures, and I’ve even seen them at Nordstrom Rack sometime.
6. Scarf – Whether thick or thin, a scarf is always there for you. A scarf can turn an outfit from drab to fab instantly. You can wear it around your neck or around your head! A printed scarf if you are wearing mostly solid colors/shoes. It adds a little extra somethin’. This leopard print one from J. Crew is adorb!
Did I forget anything? What do you think is necessary to be Rainy Day Chic?